Saturday, April 23, 2016

Recycling

Since I need to go to our local recycling center with bottles and  cans, I figured I better get that plastic bag (and a few others) emptied.  Sorted, stashed, slashed, and used fabrics.  The bags can now be cleared from the house.


  
I could save all these for the RSC16, but I wanted to use them up.  So a stack of green 9-patches were made.



Along with some red ones.  I did set aside some red scraps to go with another leader/ender project.



There weren't a lot of grey strips, but enough to make up a few tiny log cabin blocks.



Some green ones, too.



And of course - the reds.......



I found this wadded up in one bag.  I think my aunt may have started to make this as a border and then gave up on it.  I recognize a few fabrics that I had given her.  What to do with it?  The blades are made using a template and hand cut out and not all equal.  And some are not cottons.



Well, I carefully took it apart and scrapped the white - yes, I can throw out fabric.  And the non-cottons went into the trash, too.  I used one of the blades to make a cardstock template and cut some new ones from fabric out of that other baggy.  It's a start.  And yes, someone gifted me some cut-off triangles in a little baggy - a leader/ender project.  And you can see some of my little blue containers in the back - a few different leader/enders at hand.

** linking up with Oh,Scrap **

Join in This Year

And today there is a guest blogger with the most terrific 'recycle' quilt tutorial - I know I want to try this one myself.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon  

17 comments:

margaret said...

so many blocks made with your off cuts what a great way to use them up

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon ,wow lots of blocks my friend and you have used the scraps well xx

sewyouquilt2 said...

.great stash busting going on at your house. love them all!

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm really loving those log cabins, wherever they end up it's going to beautiful. Nice save with the abandoned border, those fabrics look so good together.

Sewing Junkie said...

I have been saving meat trays that fresh meat come in for my trays. One grocery store uses deep trays instead of the foam plates. Hope to have more soon. Looks like you are enjoying the process. Chris

gayle said...

I always love getting a peek into your scrapwork! Such fun little blocks on their way to becoming lovely quilts. 8)

Kate said...

What a great way to recycle those blades. You had a really productive week!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I want some pretty colored blocks like yours! They really look great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love those little log cabins! I like the variety of colors you're using.

Vicki in MN said...

Great use of some scraps! I am curious as to what you will make with the little triangles someone gifted you. I have been saving mine for a long time and dug them out last week, working on making pinwheels with the red/white ones.

Barbara said...

Nice job. I'm sort of a cotton snob myself. I just like the way it feels.

Lyndsey said...

Great makes from all those scraps. Using scraps is so satisfying.

Marly said...

Great blocks from your scraps! Isn't using the "waste" satisfying?

Lesley said...

Such a delightful rainbow of blocks! Love the variety of what you do!

Needled Mom said...

The blocks all look so great and now you are ready for recycling.

Rebecca in AK said...

Sharon you always get so much done! Love what you did with those border pieces, they will be pretty Dresdens.

Karen said...

Pretty little log cabins. I want to make the quilt over at Sarah's. I know I have lots of 2.5" strips.